Wednesday 13 August 2008

The end of round one...


Today was the last day with my "session A" students. These last two weeks have, (at the risk of sounding rediculous and cliche) flown by. This experience with these kids is so unmeasurable. It's like trying to explain what the city of Taipei is like; you just have to experience it for yourself. Since I have pushed these kids so hard the last two weeks, I gave them today. We did nothing but play review games, watch the Chinese Taipei (the Olympic team name for Taiwan) baseball team play the Netherlands, and let them prepare for the closing ceremony. This closing ceremony has been on my mind the last couple days, mainly because my students would not fill me in on what they were doing. In fact, the last hour of class, where they asked if they could spend it preparing, I was kicked out of the room! (Most kindly and gently as possible of course!)
When we got to the huge auditorium, each of the directors spoke, each of us teachers spoke, and finally, they began the group presentations. Six of the ten groups all got together and sang "Lean on Me" with their teachers. Theresa's group had a student play the guitar and they sang a variation of "You are my sunshine," Anna and her group did a routine from Moulin Rouge, Cheryl's group did a medley of songs, Andrea's group did a routine from Mama Mia, and my group: my wonderful, sentimental, deliciously creative and sweet kids; they went on stage and sang me a song from Taiwan called "I'm proud of you" and they had a power-point made of all their favorite pictures from class playing as they sang. OH!...they also had made balloon-flowers, and they each were holding one. The power point was beautiful...even though a few of the pictures were not the most flattering of myself! That is my own fault though...I tend to make funny faces at a camera. Then a couple of my kids said some sweet and wonderful things about me and then they ran off stage and gave all us teachers and directors the flowers! I was soooo glad that I was smart enough to bring my camcorder today. I got all the presentations on video. AND, they gave me so many cards, presents, and a cd of the power point they made. I adore these students. It was one of the sweetest moments I have experienced. After the ceremony was over, they had me pose for a million and a half pictures. My face hurt from making so many crazy faces for each student. Of course they wanted individual pictures with me, small groups, big groups, the whole shibang. I'm going to miss these students so much. So, I dedicate this tiny little blog to the 14 of you...
Kevin, Wings, Jasper, Kelly, Doris, Puppy, Frenda, Vicky, Aaron, Lilly, Theresa, Milly, Lizzie, and Ray. I love you all!

No comments: